Apricot and Vanilla Chicken Baskets
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) apricot brandy
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 hot red chili with seeds, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
Makes 12 servings
These hors d’oeuvres are perfect for any special occasion - New Year’s Eve, college graduation, successful vasectomy - and are the perfect balance between sweet and savory. The addition of vanilla helps round out the flavors and adds an amazing aroma. See, things are looking up already.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray and line each cup with a wonton sheet.
- Lightly spray wonton sheets and bake for about 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from tins.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium-sized skillet, add chicken, garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, cumin, ginger and black pepper. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add jam, brandy, vanilla, chili, cilantro and green onion and stir until sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Spoon chicken mixture into wonton cups and garnish with more chilies and cilantro sprigs, if desired.