Field Mushroom and Bacon Frittata
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced mixed mushrooms (crimini, shitake, oyster etc.)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
Makes 6 servings
Frittata’s make wonderful brunch fare because they serve a crowd from one pan and can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature—and they’re a helluva lot easier than flippin’ omelets.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Cook bacon in a large non-stick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Add onion to pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms, pepper and salt and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly whisk eggs, milk and Dijon together in a medium bowl and add to skillet. Cook until set at the edge and underside is golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle egg mixture with cooked bacon and shredded cheese and place in heated oven. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and egg mixture is set. Serve either hot or at room temperature.